Saturday, November 26, 2011

Kind of a Tutorial - Fancy Folded Star Ornament

Like I said ages ago - I was going to show you how to make other things with my Moda Bakeshop Fancy Folded Star Tutorial, however work has been keeping both my hands bound lately but I managed to whip up a little ornament at least. If you haven't read or tried my Fancy Folded Star Tutorial before, I strongly suggest you read it all before you start with your ornament as I'll be referring to that tutorial a lot.


Fancy Folded Star Ornament



Simply follow the tutorial on how to make a Fancy Folded Star above, but instead of using 4 FQs  for the star we use 3, and instead if cutting (16) 3" x 4" rectangles from each FQ, we only cut (8) from each. And we replace the 10" x 10" square base from scrap fabric, with a 5" x 5", so you'll end up with this when you've drawn the lines and ironed down the fold on each of the (24) rectangles.


Then decide your layout and lay out the pieces, I placed them slightly closer together then I did for the pot holder version, but you can do as you wish there, your ornament will be smaller the tighter you place them. I wanted a fairly big one so I didn't place them too close. Pin them down, draw a link with disappearing marker and sew them down, continue all the way around for all 8 sections.



Fold them just like you do on the pot holder, stitch down the top two like we did on the pot holder, but don't stitch the last two in place, just pin it.


When all is pinned, replace your pins like this to allow you to draw a circle (I used a suitable small glass bowl with a 5" diameter to trace around) and stitch around it. Before I did this through I added a small button dressed in the sold fabric to the middle of the star and added batting and backing to get a little body in my ornament. Instead of backing fabric you could always add another Fancy Folded star to the back to make your ornament two sided and thereby suitable for the Christmas tree or a window.


After you've stitched all layers in place, cut out your circle with a scant 1/4" seam allowance to the seam, make bias binding and bind your little circle ornament. I added a small hanger fastened in the binding seam on the backside out of white rubber band.

Tada! You're done, your very own Fancy Folded Star Ornament!


If you make your own Fancy Folded Star ornament or any pattern of mine - I'd love if you add it to my flickr group and thereby share it with me and the world so we all can enjoy it and be inspired by it: Not Only Quilts - Share Your Creations <3

8 comments:

  1. Vad fint att hänga den i granen eller fönstret.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks so pretty! I always wondered how they were made, and now I know and can make my own, thanks to your great pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Maria,
    If I wanted to enlarge the fancy folded star pattern, for instance, the strip pieces were 4" x 5", would the backing be 11" x 11"? Thanks for your help. This pattern is so pretty when completed. I was thinking of doing one larger for a wallhanging.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Que maravilla, es un detalle precioso.
    Besos

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are lovely,I feel Christmas stars coming on.
    X

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Maria, I just love your blog and the stuff that you make and I was very surprised that you live on the island of Malta too! I am Maltese and live at Luqa. Take a look at my blog:
    www.loredana61.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Děkuji za návod.Už jsme hvězdičku vyráběly na klubu..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Me gustaría mucho hacer una, pero no sé cómo se cose, perdón me puede aclarar esa parte.

    ReplyDelete

Comments really make my day, thank you for taking the time! <3